About Our School
High Academic Standards
- Scoil Mhuire Naofa is a child-centred Academic School with high standards of achievement overall and particularly in literacy and numeracy. Our results of the annual National Standardised tests indicate that each year our standards are getting higher. This is due, to a large degree, to the dedication of our experienced and highly qualified staff members to consistent and regular review of best practice in the quality of teaching and learning in our school.
- We enjoy many educational field trips. So far this year we have attended The Science of Bubbles Show in Firken Crane, Phototonics, The Science of Light from The Tyndall National Institute and Animals’ Characteristics and Habitats in Fota Wildlife Park.
- In the New Year we expect to launch our After Schools Club which hopes to offer parents the facility of supervised homework and future art, drama, science, IT, etc. classes
- This year, to celebrate our 60th year anniversary Scoil Mhuire Naofa will publish a special book which will contain a personal piece from all of our 460 pupils! This will be accessible to all.
- The Board of Management and the Parents’ Association, together with the Staff, work collaboratively together on important policies and procedures. Child Protection is of paramount importance.
- We are committed to Anti-Bullying awareness. We were the first school in Co. Cork to be awarded the ISPCC Antibullying Shield flag and we recognise that the responsibility for the children’s health and safety is a collaborative one, involving staff, parents and pupils alike.
- We are a Restorative Practice school where we aim to build and maintain good relationships amongst each other and learn how to resolve conflict in a restorative manner.
- We have a very active and involved Students’ Council.
- Though large our school is safety conscious of break times. All of our yards are zoned so that each zone has just one class level playing within it’s confines.
- We run many resilience and well being programmes in our school and each class aims to practice meditation daily.
- We are proud of the whole school achievements of two Green Flags and our Health Promoting Flag.
We have on staff : Principal, Deputy Principal, Assistant Principal, 17 class teachers, 8 Special Education teachers, 1 English Teacher (for pupils whose second language is English) 6 Special Needs Assistants, Secretary and Caretaker.
- Scoil Mhuire Naofa celebrates the cultures of over 30 different countries in our Annual Culture Day. We proudly fly the Blue Star Flag which was awarded to us for our dedication to this inclusiveness.
- We are inclusive in our commitment to the differentiated education of all our pupils and particularly to those who have special educational needs. We have a special Parent Support group called SWISH where parents have a monthly get together to Share Wisdom Information Strength and Hope with each other as they work with the school and outside agencies to provide the very best education and resources for their children.
- Our pupils enjoy the facility of learning musical instruments (guitar, tn whistle, keyboard, percussion) or taking part in the school choir and band. They have been to recording studios and have been on TV. Every year every child in the school takes part in at least one musical performance.
- We have a broad selection of Sports on offer: hurling and football (indoor and outdoor), swimming, orienteering, soccer, basketball as well as our PE curriculum. Indeed we are proud to boast that we have been County Champions in hurling and All Ireland champions in orienteering and our pupils have reached all Ireland standards in swimming and rock climbing schools leagues. We proudly fly The Active Schools’ Flag. We have annual Pupil Vs Teacher soccer and basketball matches, which is hard fought and tense!
- We have also celebrated our pupils’ achievement of All Ireland status in Community Games annual Art Competition. We regularly update our ongoing school exhibit of our talented budding artists.
- Every classroom has an interactive whiteboard.
- We currently have half a class set of IPADs which are timetabled amongst the pupils and we hope to complete the set in the near future.
- Our classes have student laptops.
- We have special speakers as an aid to those who have hearing impairment and specialised IT equipment for pupils who are visually impaired, as well as personal laptops for certain children with special educational needs.
- Our senior boys are currently learning how to make short films!
- We believe that education should be fun! We look forward to Santa visiting every class soon, going on Easter egg hunts, our annual walk to Barryscourt castle with refreshments, our after-sacrament parties and graduation party, pancakes for all on Pancake Tuesday, Dress up at Halloween and Book Day (including the teachers!) our annual Nativity musials and Carol Service to name just a few!